After installing Exchange 2013 SP1, I began reviewing the server’s Application log for errors or warnings. There were a large number of Event ID 2937, from MSExchange ADAccess, and while the exact error text varied a bit from event to event, they all indicated that an Exchange property was pointing to a deleted object in AD. The process itself can vary, as can the property in question. In our case it was [PublicFolderDatabase] as shown below.
While researching the issue I was able to find a bit more information about properties other than [PublicFolderDatabase]; in some cases this error seems to indicate missing or bad data that must be corrected for Exchange to function properly. Our specific error wasn’t causing any operational problems but it was littering the Application log.
What I found strange after doing some research was that the PublicFolderDatabase property is deprecated in Exchange 2013 and thus shouldn’t be causing a problem. Nonetheless, the data was still there and I needed to remove it. Unfortunately with the property deprecated, Set-MailboxDatabase could not be used to set PublicFolderDatabase to $null; attempting to do so resulted in “Cannot validate argument on parameter ‘PublicFolderDatabase’. The argument is null or empty…”
The other info I could find out there called for using ADSI Edit to remove the property, but try as I might I couldn’t find the PublicFolderDatabase property where the App log said it should be. Finally I stumbled on this post which, while not pertaining specifically to Exchange 2013 identified the actual attribute name as “msExchHomePublicMDB”. I still couldn’t find it though until I read this comment, which explained the problem: I had been viewing the properties of the “notebook” object, rather than the “folder” object. (See screenshot below)
Once I opened the properties of the folder object, sure enough I found “msExchHomePublicMDB” and was able to clear it out. Once replication occurred, the errors stopped. Simple fix once you know where to look.