6 comments on “Google Chrome Managed Bookmarks

  1. Stumbled onto your blog today, and man! Its nice to know that i’m not the only one suffering from a bunch of these same issues.. I have been using a JSON conversion site – to recreate all of the items manually and I would love to get my hands on a little utility to make that easier for me.

    I am also a little curious if you made any progress on your trip down rabbit hole with the old Internet Explorer PINNED item on the Windows 10 Start Menu… I have three freshly imaged workstations deployed – all with the same .xml menu – they work beautifully except one of them – for reasons that are beyond me is missing the internet explorer shortcut..

    Anyways nice blog and I’m glad I stumbled onto it – Trials of a network admin is fitting. “Tears of a network admin” would also be appropriate.

    Jeff

    Like

  2. Thanks for the comment and compliment. I agree about the “tears” part, sadly.

    Regarding Chrome and the utility – I just reviewed the code and the reality is it’s rather specific to my circumstances, as I’m not just generating the JSON file but also a HTML file we need in a specific format for another purpose. That said, if you would like the source code (C# in Visual Studio), I’m happy to provide it. If you’re just looking for the JSON file you should not need to change too much as most of the challenge is getting the formatting correct, and I’ve already done that. Let me know.

    As for IE and the Win 10 start menu, I would suggest checking that the IE shortcut itself exists in %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\ and that you’re using that shortcut in the XML file. Other than that I’d start looking at what differences may exist in the user’s and all users’ start menu folders; if the XML works on some machines and not others I think your problem lies with the shortcuts themselves.

    James

    Like

    • James, thanks for following up. I must have missed the reply notification. Apologies for being late to the party..

      As for my situation, I have come to grips with just updating the simple JSON string then feeding that to the GPO when I need to make a change. Thanks for your offer, but I don’t think it’s necessary. I was just re-visiting / updating them today actually which prompted me to stop by. I also eventually figured out my I.E. shortcut issue, and a whole bunch of other issues that were driving my OCD crazy. Only thing left for me is figuring out if I can assign some .ico favicons to my shortcuts, but its not really that big of a deal I suppose..

      For any of the other guys looking to speed this up, check this site out – it makes it really easy to nest the folders: http://jsonformatter.org/

      1) Paste your text
      2) Select the nice little “Format / Beautify” button
      3) On the opposite side, click the little “Code” button to reveal a dropdown menu
      4) Select “Tree”
      5) Click on the icons to the left of your menu, one lets you drag and drop the menu items, the other lets you sort, insert, duplicate, or remove items.

      For I.E. – turns out I needed the files in the following locations:
      %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Internet Explorer.lnk
      C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Internet Explorer.lnk

      I also found that the location of the LayoutModification.xml file mattered in my case..placing it here:
      C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\LayoutModification.xml

      ensured that when new profiles were created, they all had lovely working start menus. We slipped this into our Win-10 .WIM file which meant that all of the new user profiles were created without issues.

      Like

  3. I found an example of creating a couple bookmarks in Chrome at the top level (beneath “managed booksmarks”) and then creating a child group beneath that (in the example “chrome links” , with a couple of bookmarks in that folder (found here https://www.chromium.org/administrators/complex-policies-on-windows).

    Great – I can get one child folder that contains a couple bookmarks in it, but I was hoping I could extend this further, creating child multiple folders under the top level (such as one for each department with bookmarks unique to that department in each folder).

    I haven’t been able to resolve the proper JSON syntax to make this happen. At one point, I was able to create a folder within a folder, but I’d like all the folders to be at the same level with unique bookmarks in each folder.

    Based on your experiences, I’m wondering if you have any knowledge/expertise you could share?

    Like

  4. Robert, see if this helps:

    [ { “name”: “Office 365 Portal”, “url”: “https://login.microsoftonline.com/” }, { “name”: “Sub Folder 1”, “children”: [ { “name”: “Bing”, “url”: “https://www.bing.com/” } ] }, { “name”: “Sub Folder 2”, “children”: [ { “name”: “Google”, “url”: “https://google.com/” } ] } ]

    Run that through a JSON formatter to see what it looks like with whitespace. https://jsonformatter.curiousconcept.com/

    I haven’t tested that with Chrome but I believe it’s the correct format for it to work.

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s